Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Five Stars to Mike Mullin's Ashfall.

I won this book from NiNoCon (and yes, I am a Ninja). I was so surprised that I won. Once the shock of winning wore off, I was anxious to get the book and start reading. My schedule tends to be crazy, and it was hard to find time to read at first. As I got further into the book though, I read more and more.

This was a great story, that kept my interest the whole way through. From the beginning I connected with Alex and by the end I was ready for book two. A post apocalyptic type of novel, with enough twists and turns to keep me on my feet. Just when I thought I knew what was happening, or going to happen-something happened to prove me wrong.


NOW IT'S TIME FOR MY SPOILERS. STOP HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE STORY.

If you clicked the read more button, then here we go:

This story starts off with Alex's house catching fire. He runs(yes runs) to the fire station because the phones are down. They come to his house and get the fire out, but the house is ruined. Alex goes to his neighbors house and spends some time there. During that time sounds like bombs going off begin(which turn out to be the result of a volcanic eruption.). Ash begins to fall, and it covers everything, going on and on with no sign of ceasing. But after a break in by three men, Alex runs. He ends up at the high school where there is a survivor camp set up, spends the night and moves on. He, using skis to assist him moving over the ash, travels through Iowa, headed for Warren; in search of his family who are supposed to be at his uncles house.

Once in Warren, he finds his aunt and uncle, cousins, and his sister-but his parents left to go find him. He stays with his uncle, agreeing to help around there for awhile. The only condition (at first) is that he be allowed to go find his parents if they don't return. Later he negotiates to be able to sleep in the same room with his girlfriend. Then he really becomes a man (*ahem*) (On a side note, I heard some people had a little bit of an issue with some "sexual content" in this book. Please, if you've heard that-do not let that deter you from reading this fabulous book. It's hardly there. Of course if you're reading this, you should have already read this book....hmmmm. Stop reading right now if you haven't read it yet! *_* )

Anyway, unfortunate events keep happening. Along the way Alex faces angels and creeps. He stops being the introverted 15 year old boy, to a strong and independent 16 year old man. It's a journey that can sadden or warm the heart depending on which way you choose to read into it. For me, it did both. It was a shame everything Alex was forced to overcome, the person he was forced to be and that is also what made it heart warming. Every obstacle that should have broke his spirits, every time he should have died, Alex prevailed. That is what made this story for me.

By the end of the book, you will be saying- NO, I can't wait until October to read more!!!, at least, you should be. ;-)

Don't forget to look for book two in the series: Ashen Winter (Planned for release in October 2012).

4 comments:

Katja Weinert said...

I loved Ashfall; great review.

Kela McClelland said...

K.R.- Me too, fantastic read! And thanks :)

Jeremy Bates said...

cool story! Thank you for sharing..

Kela McClelland said...

Jeremy- You're welcome. It is a pretty cool story, you should check it out if you haven't read it. :)