Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday TAG! - Stephanie Adele


Stephanie Adele is another awesome person I met on AQC. She blogs, Tweets, Pins and is on Goodreads. Check her out because, well, she's full of awesome. :D


1. When did you start writing?
I can't even remember how long it has been. I think I started writing as soon as I found out that writing down thoughts and stories was an actually thing, and not just something weird that I did. I was published when I was 7, so I would probably put that as the moment when I realized that this writing thing was pretty cool.

2. What made you want to write?
I absolutely suck at expressing myself in person, and writing really gave me the opportunity to unleash what was in my brain without the immediate reactions from another person. Writing helped me cope through a lot of things during high school and other tough times.

3. When did you decide you wanted to write to be published? (As opposed to writing just to write)
I always credit my high school Drama teacher with giving me the push I needed to believe in myself and realize that I could potentially publish my work one day. I was writing the script for the yearly Christmas play in my freshman year and after she read it she turned, looked at me, and said, "If you don't become a published writer, it will be such a waste." After that, there was no looking back.

4. What genre(s) do you write?
I've struggled with this internally for a long time. Do you write what you love or write what you're good at? I chose write what I love, which is suspense/thriller, with a hint of what I'm good at (romance).

5. Why that(those) genre(s)?
I have always loved suspense novels and the journey that they take you on. Not only do you get the POV of the main character, but also everyone else involved when a crime takes place. The victims, the police, the doctors, and most interestingly to me, the suspect.

6. Do you have any particular ritual when you write? (A specific way things are done during the process)
I don't really have a set in stone process for writing. I must have a title before I start, I am completely anal about that. I also like to get feedback during the writing process to make sure I'm on the right track (instant gratification nomnomnom).

7. Do you use an outline, or do you just start writing?
Never used an outline. Never will. I come from writing screenplays, where you have to feel every word that is coming out of you. I tend to write my novels the same way. I am in that moment with my characters, feeling what they feel at that exact second. I feel like if I outlined things, I wouldn't get that experience.

8. Is there something you MUST have when you're writing? (Aside from the typical writer tools-computer, pen, paper, etc)
MUSIC. I cannot write without music. My iTunes is basically filled with nothing but playlists for my different books.

9. Do you write out your story on paper and then transfer to a computer, or straight to the computer?
I'm a bit of both. Usually computer, but if I am somewhere where I need to kill time and all I have is a pen and paper, it will do.

10. How many books/short stories have you written? (Published or not, even those you wrote and then thought-what the hell?)
Probably about 10 finished ones. Another million unfinished.

11. Is there, or has there been, anyone in your life (real or online) who thought you being a writer is/was just another hobby? Or that you are/were wasting your time as a writer?
I have had a supportive group of family and friends when it comes to this subject. They've never...encouraged me, so to speak, but they haven't discouraged me either. Most of the people close in my life know that I do have a talent with words, and I also have an uncle who is a published author, so I've never had to face that line of criticism so far.

12. Do you do Social Media sites? If so, which ones? If not, why don't you?
I'm addicted to Twitter. Every since I got a smartphone, you haven't been able to keep me off it. I also have Facebook and Pinterest. I just started a blog that I have been enjoying so far. I was hesitant to start one, because I know that it is a massive commitment, but I also know that it can have a great payoff. One of the best things about the internet is being able to connect with other people who have the same interests as you, without leaving the comfort of your own home. Which is excellent for a introverted writer like myself.

13. Any advice for writers that makes you cringe every time you hear it? (I know there is some cringe-worthy advice still worth following, so only advice you don't follow.)
Hmm...I can't say I really follow any advice. Part of being a writer is experimentation and learning the ropes on your own. I believe that one piece of advice that would really help one writer, would make another cringe. It is a hard industry to break into, and I think you need to just navigate the waters on your own.


14. Do you have playlists for just your book in general? Or do you have several per book? (Like, one for fight scenes. One for love scenes. Etc)
Specific playlists are definitely a must. I do have some general songs that kind of find their way into a few of my lists, but for the most part I like having individual playlists for each book. I think that each book you write has its own voice and feel to it, and I believe that the music you listen to during the creation of it can really add to the experience. And once I use a song for a certain book it kind of belongs to that book in a way.

15. Who are some of your top thriller/suspense authors? What about books?
My thriller trifecta, as I like to call it, are Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell, and James Patterson. I know that these are all pretty mainstream authors and I realize that and don't really care, lol. They are popular for a reason and that is because they write damn good books! Reichs is my absolute favorite because I love they way she melds hardcore science with believable characters and situations. She is a master at describing and creating atmosphere and characters that feel like they are people you really know in your life. I'll list my favorite book from each author as not to turn this into a dissertation, lol. For Reichs it is Cross Bones, Cornwell it's Book of the Dead, and for Patterson it's 2nd Chance.

16. Published at 7? What's that like? What'd you publish?
I don't quite remember what is was like, to be honest haha. It feels like it was a lifetime ago and at that age I was more interested in practicing my Spice Girls routine in my backyard than being excited over being published.

The way it happened was that we had to write and illustrate a story for my class at school and get it all bound and wallpaper covered like a real novel. I wrote about me and my friends becoming trapped in my television and interacting with the different characters we came across as the channels were surfed and we tried to escape. My teacher loved it so much that she entered it in the yearly Toronto Star writing competition and it just happened to win.

17. How many books/short stories/articles/etc have you published? Just one, or several? Only when you were seven, or other ages as well?
That was it! Sadly. I have never submitted anything else to be published since. I keep telling myself that I will get into the habit of entering a few contests but I never seem to get around to it. I have written a few plays thought that have been put into production, and that was pretty cool.

18. What type of music to you have on your playlist?
Here is my current playlist for Beneath the City of Lights:
1. Leave Me Here - Hem
2. Seven Devils - Florence + The Machine
3. The Weight of Us - Sanders Boehlke
4. The Writer - Ellie Goulding
5. So Soon - Marianas Trench
6. The Light - Sarah Bareilles

I tend to go for songs that I feel encompass the ride of emotions that my MC's go through throughout their journey in the book. All the songs have a similar thread to them and help me get into the minds of my MCs


19. What do you do when you aren't writing?
I watch A LOT of television. I love TV. Netflix is my absolute favorite invention in the entire universe, along with computers and internet. I also like going to the movies, walking my dog, and the Saturday night bar ritual with my friends.

20. Any words of wisdom for anyone who is thinking of becoming a writer, or just something you think all writers should know?
Writing is 95% talent, 5% education. If you are passionate about putting your thoughts on a page, then sit your ass down and do it!

2 comments:

Utsav said...

Published at 7! I didn't know we had a child prodigy among us. (We are all prodigies ofcourse! Go Steph. I am sure another publication is heading your way soon.

Great interview Kela. You really know how to get the info out!

Unknown said...

Thanks again for the interview, Kela! It was a lot of fun!